How Robotics Can Support The Human | Human Vs Kiborgs
As technology is developing the robotics industry is experiencing an investment boom. Robots are among us but what we are doing extra is giving them the shape and capability to them performing various tasks but lacking the brain work. The arrival of the robots and their potentially devastating effects on the human employment has been widely predicted, but if we see its pros then there are many of the areas where we need them and making the task to the next level that we can think.
The robotic arm which is nowadays becoming very successful in various sectors, model-based systems engineering (MBSE) facilitates the system to system architecture which defines more effective requirements and performing trade. A cultural paradigm shift that is required by a mature company is all examined with all its existing systems engineering processes and tools.
Researchers have gained several insights such as those listed below.
- Participants are quite interested in the weight of the robot. Most users could not perform the task easily. In fact, one person had to grip the third arm with his free hand. The opinion of most people is that the forearm is not a desirable location.
- Most participants feel that some features constrain their agility, especially the end effector. Most participants desire more degree of freedom in performing functions in their discipline. One participant that has experience working in a chemistry lab wants the free hand to be able to scope small amounts of powder with a spatula.
- Most of the participants want to be able to control the robotic arm with a voice command. They want the robotic arm to perform directives given through voice command with a level of autonomy.
- The robotic in this study was controlled through open-loop. This means that the trajectory of the robotic arm was preset. In response to this, most of the participants complained that the intentions of the robotic arm lack clarity throughout the trajectory. One person said that the arm did not show any indication before picking or dropping objects.
- The thought of the participants about the possible structure of a wearable third-arm device was often inspired by fictional characters. Some participants think that it is best to model the device on existing prosthetic devices. However, most of the participant think that the idea of a human-like arm being attached to their body is bizarre. They think it will be more weird if it takes the apparition of human flesh and skin. One of the participants said the mere thought of a strange arm without seeing the full figure of the person is scary.
Manufacturers, like this US startup , are working hard to investigate the necessities and to implement them into production in the nearest future.
It is essential to carry out these types of studies in this age when the robotics technology is experiencing fast-paced growth. There are instances where there is no logical need for certain robotic inventions ( perhaps the urban delivery drones is a typical example.) Although the idea of a third arm is intriguing. But a lot of challenges becomes apparent when it is put into practical use. Although the challenges encountered are not fatal, these insights will help researchers develop better prototypes. They will be able to focus on developing useful inventions that bring value to the users.